Friday, September 19, 2008

A not so typical Grandma

My son has 4 grandmas.

My girls have 3.

Let me explain…

They all share Grandma Clock and Grandma Combine and their Great Grandma. These women love my children so dearly and it is such a precious bond that my children have with them all. And I am so so thankful, not only for their love but with the heart of Jesus, they pray and teach in those beautiful moldable moments.

But my son has another grandma. Grandma Grace. My son hasn’t been a day without a cuddle from his special grandma.

I worked with a woman before my first maternity leave. Her mother’s name was Grace. This amazing woman made blankets for unborn children. As she made each stitch, she would pray for the baby-in-waiting. What a gift to receive my last day of work! I never met this woman but she touches my life daily with her heart to serve and love and that she cared for my child, a child she had never seen. I have told my son about this gift and when he is sad, tired or hurt, he feels the comfort of his ‘grandma grace’ holding him.

I’ve watched my son seek out his comfort, I too have desired such a blanket. I have been so blessed to have a comfort that holds me when I’m down, emotional and need support. I have my Jesus’ arms holding me until the storm passes. I am so thankful that not only does my Father care about the big picture, He deeply cares about me.

I have 3 fathers.

Let me explain…

5 comments:

Leanne said...

Andrea, I'm so thrilled to read little glimpses of your life and thoughts. It helps me to get to know you better - and you are an amazing person. Thank you for the glimpse.

You're welcome to visit my blog as well - I'm updating less at this busy time of year - but I do update semi-regularly. I've told the story of our experience with Lucas, if you're interested. Search back to the beginning of the blog, and there you'll find the beginning of our story.

You'll also find a link to Leah's blog under "The Informal Matriarch." (If you haven't found it already!)

candypb said...

That's sweet. What a great idea she had. I'm sure your son feel's that extra love from that blanket.

Roo said...

awww that's just completely beautiful.

Demara said...

i have 3 fathers too...or 4 if you count Jesus...i loved this post!

(i was over visiting Louise and thought I'd stop by to say hi.)

Lizzie said...

This was beautiful! Very well written and provoked a few tears!