Sunday, June 5, 2011

You've gotta try this...



I do enjoy baking. I get it honestly as my mother baked, baked and baked. Yeast doughs have often scared me in the past as they take lots of time and if the yeast is old or the liquid is too warm, the dough is ruined. But I'm am thoroughly enjoying baking bread, thanks to this recipe that I got great results with. It's really no fail, quick(er) than compared to other yeast recipes and so delicious!




Fabulous French Bread

2 tbsp yeast, 3 tbsp sugar

6 cups flour, 2 1/2 cup warm water

1 tbsp salt, 1 egg, separated

5 tbsp oil

option: add some ground flax, Red River cereal, bran, seeds as you mix the dough.


Mix yeast, 4 cups flour, salt, oil, sugar, water and egg yolk. Mix well and then add or knead in remaining 2 cups flour. Let rise 10 minutes (I place my dough covered in a big bowl and sitting in my kitchen sink with warm water in it). Punch or stir down. Repeat rising 10 minutes and punching down 2 more times.

Turn onto floured board. Make three balls. Roll each one out and roll up. Seal edge and place on greased cookie sheet. I make 3 loaves, placed diagonally on the cookie sheet (one/sheet).Gash 3 times diagonally with a knife. Brush with the egg white (beaten with fork). Let rise 1/2 hour and bake at 375*. Delicious with any kind of supper. They freeze well and don't take too long to thaw. I usually place frozen bread in the oven for a few minutes.

Enjoy and if you try it, let me know what you think!

3 comments:

christal said...

Looks delicious, and I'm sure it is!!! :) I might have to give this a try, but I think I'll make the dough in my breadmaker. Less work for me! ;)

Tammy said...

Looks great!! That's a lot of salt for our low sodium goals, but I could try it with less and see how it turns out. Love making bread!

andrea said...

i find that there is a fine line for bread tasting good to bland. i actually hate the taste of salt. I don't add salt to any food i cook (except bread). but you are making lower sodium changes to your lifestyle...just put in less.