Wednesday, March 4, 2009

there is a better way...

I was given a fleece hoody and pant set a couple years ago. In the midst of being pregnant and being pregnant again, this outfit was set aside for perhaps a day I could wear it. Only in the past two weeks, have I been able to put them on and still breathe. You girls understand what I mean, right? They fit my waist but the height was way too long...like 5 inches too long. Since I have dreamed of the day, I could wear them, I wasn't gonna even think of letting them get out of my sight...or even out of my closet.

Bright and early this Monday morning, I put on this outfit. Grrr! The pant legs are still too long. Frustrated that after having them in my closet for the past 3 years didn't shrink their length, and that both Moms are sleeping at 6:30 am and my seamstress needs more than a 2 minute warning, I decide to fix them myself.

(*insert laughter here*)

I was given Stitch Witchery for Christmas one year...probably the year of these pants.

It's a great little invention that holds a hem in place without all the work of actually sewing... I love it already.

My kids are stirring. I don't have much time. I run to my laundry room and turn on my iron to start this repair process. I shape the hem to how I would like it and add this special hem fabric to my pants and start ironing. I place the iron down on the fabric and it won't budge.

Something wrong here. I lift up the iron only to have my pants slowly melt away from the Teflon plate of the iron.

I melted my pants.


Oops! It was too hot. It melted a hole through my pants. Just like on cartoons. I look at the iron. Oh, the damage, this melting oozing fabric is stuck to the metal. I have ruined the pants and the iron is less than 5 seconds!

I could have waited until the weekend or I could have called my seamstress at 9am but I was impatient and thought I could do it faster my way. Only to have tears and damaged goods start my new week!

After pondering this incident, I have tried to see it from a spiritual perspective. I have God guiding me and helping me through my day, and I can rely on Him always. How many times though have I decided I have an issue I can do alone? It happens. I know and want to trust God in everything. That is my desire and I know that is His desire from me. But I am not perfect. I am human. I make mistakes. I can ask forgiveness and God is there holding my hand ready to help. Always!

Wonderful peace in following God.

And those pants...I realized that I didn't make the hem high enough so I was able to cut above the hole and once the iron cooled, the hard plastic-y material just wiped clean. Both of which were God's answer to my prayers that morning.

Another lesson learned!



12 comments:

Lizzie said...

You are brave to even try fixing them on your own!! Glad it all worked out!!

Stephanie said...

It's a tough lesson to learn, huh? I know first hand! Thank God He's always there waiting for us anyway!

P.S. You can come over and I'll hem them for you. :-)

m@ndy said...

God is so good isn't he!!!

Louise said...

You are so funny!!!
HUGS

Roo said...

oh man!!! my friend!! can i relate??? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have done the exact same thing..........over
and over again..........

xoxo

Tammy said...

What a great lesson from a "Murphy's Law" story!

Andrea said...

Cute story! :)

And I'm rejoicing with you that you can now fit in those pants!!

Carrie and Jim said...

Many accidents occur but for all to many a good reason. Good work with being healthy, keep it up. Then you can go out and buy yourself a new outfit!

Kathy said...

Grrrr...But I think you are so true in your insight. Glad the pants worked out in the end. A good reminder of even though we mess thing up, sometimes it all works out in the end, plus a little lesson along the way.

candypb said...

2 Positives out weight the negative. You learnt your leason and you saved your pants. Not such a bad week after all. Congrats on fitting into the long awaited pants. I'm still waiting for my chance. 16 more lbs!!! woohoo!

Kimmie said...

Wow, my lessons always start much later in the day...usually they wait at least for the 2nd cup of coffee.

Glad you salvaged the 'pants'...I was going to say...sweatshorts anyone??

=-}

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Larissa said...

oh Andrea! I am sooooo glad that you could cut above the hole! As I read that I was thinking- could you make them into capri fleece pants?? Soooo glad that it's okay! I'd be happy to hem them for you if you still need them done!!