Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pulled Pork recipe

I just made a delicious meal yesterday and I need to share it with you. Typically when I make something new-ish, some or most of us like it but this time, we all enjoyed it immensely!
I did a shout out on FB looking for people's favorite Pulled Pork Recipe without much luck (as it was nearing supper hour). Have you ever tried to google Pulled Pork recipes...there are 50,000 and each one is super unique. One says slow cook pork with root beer, one includes spices I've have never heard about and another included a massive amount of cinnamon...that's called spice confusion...mixing sweet and savoury spices...so needless to say, not my favorite.
That's when I called my sister, tried and true cook of the year!!!
Here's her recipe (with my variation as I need to cook with what I had on hand):

2-3 lbs pork roast
1 cup apple juice
Slow cook roast in juice until done (I did 6 hours on high).

In a large dutch oven, add
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar (I used white vinegar)
1/2 cup soy sauce ( I added half soy sauce and half thick teriyaki stir fry sauce...to limit the salt)
2 celery ribs, chopped
4 tbsp onion, chopped
squirt of prepared mustard
4 tsp paprika
2 cups chicken broth (I used the fat-strained apple juice from the slow cooker)
Bring to a boil. Let simmer while you pull apart the meat and place in dutch oven. As it simmered, I did add 1/3 Bull's Eye BBQ sauce.
This was definitely a winner recipe! Serve on bread or buns with veggies.

I only wish I had a picture...it was so delicious!

3 comments:

christal said...

That sounds fantastic!! I'll have to give this recipe a try the next time I make it. I'm going to email you a recipe that I got from another friend... I think you'll like it!! :)

Kathy said...

Drool. Yet again, another amazing recipe from you that I will probably HAVE to make in the next few hours!

Andrea said...

Mmmm...

Joelle has pulled pork this summer for the first time and practically DROOLED all over it. I would be her HERO if I made this for her!!