Friday, May 20, 2011

Reshaping It All

I'm not an avid reader by any stretch but when someone tells me of a great book to read, I'm all over it. That was especially the case with this book by Candace Cameron Bure. I had plans on borrowing it out to everyone and anyone who wanted to read it, but self decided that I needed to read it again. I tried to read every word and savour each chapter as I knew the when I was finished the last page, I would have learnt so many encouraging ways to look at food, life and reaching my potential in Christ...that were all backed up with scripture.
I could say this book changed my life. It really has!!!
I want to put Candace's words of God's ideas for my physical and spiritual walk front and center in my life.
She concentrated mostly on food and how we tend to make it an idol in our lives rather than benefiting us with better health like God intended it.
And...I love food.
It's something I have struggled with for a long time. Yes, I may have finally lost most of my weight but it's still has been a daily struggle to get my mind beyond food. I have spent these past few years exercising like crazy to counteract my poor decisions. A day with 3 intense workouts was typical if I felt guilty for eating junk that day or before. I've often weighed myself everyday frustrated with the maintaining or increasing numbers, knowing what I was doing wrong but unable to change my poor habits. Every night, I'd pray for a healthier new 'next day'. If that's not a reason to feel like a failure, I don't know what is.
What's changed since I've read this book, you ask?
Well, my outlook on food, for sure. But also, my outlook on God and His love for me.
I have yet to feel hungry. I have been praying...asking God to take these food desires away and to fill me with Him. I finally feel free. Being aware of my choices and knowing full well (no pun intended) that I don't need all the food in front of me. Like the saying says, "eating to live, not living to eat." I realized that this battle may seem like a physical one but it really was a spiritual journey for me.
Am I cured from this desire?
Absolutely not.
I still struggle. I still open my cupboard and want that chocolate or treat that is captivating me...but know that it'll be there tomorrow.
Now there's been a new perspective...changing from the inside out!!! I'm so excited to begin this journey at 34 years old! Old ways are hard to let go but I am determined to let God lead and help me overcome this issue. This book spoke lots about food issues and how I treat (or don't treat) my body as a temple. Those who struggle with something that takes away from God in their life, putting another idol in God's place, would get encouragement from this book as well.

Beyond the spiritual, there was some great tips from the book in regards to food was:
#1. the acronym HALT. Am I...
H- hungry
A-angry
L- lonely
T- tired
#2. limiting one portion at meal times
#3. self-control is attainable (it IS a fruit of the spirit)
#4. find someone with a similiar mindset to walk this journey with you
#5. limit treats to once or twice a week (they may taste great but make you feel tired, lazy and crave more junk)
#6. after eating a piece of chocolate, drink 2 cups of water...it makes you feel full so you have less regrets
#7. save treats to the end of the day or else you'll feel like you are depriving yourself
#8. stop eating when satisfied...and not stuffed

These tips and many others presented in the book, are just common sense. We have the ability to try and work at our choices...but it really goes beyond food. If you struggle with trying to follow these 'common sense' guidelines, join me in learning how to 'let go and let God' deliver us from our weaknesses and our wants.
Have you heard of this book? I'd love to have you join me on this spiritual journey, letting go of selfish desires and unrealistic expectations we place on ourselves and rather to allowing God's love fill us unconditionally and give us the confidence we crave.
Blessings!
andrea

3 comments:

Kathy said...

This sounds like an awesome read. I love the HALT acronym and also praying when you feel like just diving into food.

I'd love to borrow the book. Can I pick up in person in 6 weeks? :)

Sheila said...

And the neat thing about this book is that it was co-authored by a
local Winnipeg author. I think you would also enjoy her blog at http://www.time-warp-wife.blogspot.com/

Jody said...

I've heard of the book - and almost bought it! It looks like I better add it to my next Amazon order! I love the HALT. I will totally use that...